Ostmodels Soviet SMK Heavy Tank Build in 1/72 Scale

DSC_2661
Here are the parts for the Ostmodels resin SMK heavy tank prototype.  Mercifully, there are no casting blocks of any consequence to remove.  There is a bit of mold flash though, clean up took about two hours.  The resin is slightly flexible.  This cuts both ways – while there is some distortion in some of the parts, it does make fitting the tracks easier.  Photographs and some history of the tank are here:  https://inchhighguy.wordpress.com/2019/07/03/soviet-smk-heavy-tank-description-and-kit-review/
DSC_2813
Because the hull is already one large casting most of the parts are in the tracks and suspension.  Like with the Char 2C I built earlier, Ostmodels provides extra track lengths.  There is some fitting work to be done here, the guide teeth on the tracks have to be trimmed back to allow the road wheels to fit, likewise the teeth of the drive sprocket should be trimmed where they would engage the track.  I removed the solid portions of the supports for the mudguards over the tracks and replaced them with Evergreen strip.  The two brass supports are scrap from a PE fret, which I used to add a little strength to try to help correct some distortion in the mudguard.
DSC_2815
Everything is in place in this view.  Ostmodels has cast three of the hatches separately which would allow modelers to insert figure busts if desired.  I went the route of just closing them up.  The barrel of the smaller turret and the rear facing machine gun were replaced with Albion tube, which was easier than cleaning up the castings and gives a better result.  There are no pioneer tools or towing cables provided in the kit.
DSC_2832
After assembly everything was given a coat of Mr. Surfacer 1000.  This revealed several small pinholes in the resin.  These were filled with Mr. Surfacer 500 and the excess wiped away.
DSC_2835
The model was then primed with Alclad black primer, followed by a coat of Mr. Color 511, Russian Green 4BO.  This laid down perfectly and the color looks right.  This was sealed with MM Glosscoat.
DSC_2841
The model was given two oil washes, both relatively thin.  The first layer was burnt umber, which was applied more densely on the running gear and lower hull.  The second layer was yellow, and was applied only to portions of the model.  The idea was to bring out some tonal variation and add complexity to the monotone finish.
DSC_2844
Next came the drybrushing.  The tracks and running gear received some Aluminum to bring out highlights.  The hull of the tank was drybrushed with a 50-50 mix of Mr. Color 4BO and Yellow.  This was applied to the raised surface detail and also blotched onto panels to simulate paint wear and streaking.  The weathering layers can be blended with thinner to achieve the desired color density.  In this case I wanted some dirt and wear, but not an excessive amount.
DSC_2849
The final layers were a wash of black acrylic to fill in the recesses, followed by a very thin layer of light tan airbrushed mainly on the lower hull to simulate dust.  Then the entire model was sealed with MM Flatcoat.   Done!  The SMK was an interesting and uncommon tank, I’m looking forward to taking it to the shows for the weird factor alone.