Skip to content
Another Airfix quick build, this time it’s their Hawker Hurricane Mk.I. This kit was released in 2014 in two versions, an earlier variant with parts for the two-bladed prop and shallow rear fuselage, and this one which contains the three-bladed prop and ventral ridge, among other associated bits. These kits created quite a sensation among modelers who were pleased to see a rag-wing Hurricane kit. This soon turned to disappointment when Airfix failed to release the obvious follow on tin wing Mk.I.
Adding a little insult to injury, Airfix also got their rag wing wrong. The areas immediately forward and aft of the gun bay covers were also aluminum skinned to allow armorers to service the guns. Airfix has molded these areas with the same fabric texture as the rest of the wing.
The fix is not overly difficult – sand off the fabric texture and scribe in the missing panel lines for the metal panels. At this stage I also added the missing panel lines at the leading edge of the wings and filed down the trailing edges to eliminate the step there.
One thing Airfix does well are cockpits. Here the major components are assembled prior to painting. The cockpit floor is molded into the upper surface of the wings.
The cockpit is painted and washed with black and then lightly drybrushed with silver to bring out the details. Airfix provides a decal for the instrument panel, seatbelts are Eduard, leftovers from their Spitfire kits.
The wheelwells are quite deep and well detailed, something some other kit manufacturers could learn from (I’m looking at you, Hasegawa!). I have also scribed the leading edge panels on the underside of the wings.
One miss is that Airfix provides four-spoked wheels instead of five-spoked wheels. Fortunately the Eduard Spitfire spare baggie has several five-spoked hubs so the Airfix parts were drilled out and corrected.
I cut out the wingtip lights and replaced them with roughly cut sections of clear sprue. I also mounted the clear landing light covers at this point. Both were attached with liberal amounts of superglue to hold them in place.
Here are the clear parts on the wing after filing and sanding them smooth. The parts were polished with 8000 grit sanding cloths to restore their clarity. I find that it is difficult to get a good fit on these parts if you wait until the end of construction to install them, much better to fill the gaps with superglue and polish them smooth again before painting.
Here is the Hurricane all masked up for the camouflage pattern using masking tape. I used poster putty on last week’s Defiant build and wanted to compare both methods. I was able to achieve the same results either way, but found the poster putty was faster.
Mr. color paints were used, they are easy to use and go on without problems. I still think the colors are a bit off, the Dark Earth should be lighter and the Dark Green darker. I used an Eduard canopy mask set because I am old and lazy.
I used the kit decals on this one, they behaved without any surprises and depict a No. 85 Squadron aircraft from the Battle of France. I had intended to do a Battle of Britain aircraft but after checking serial numbers it turned out all my aftermarket decals were for tin-wing BoB birds. The sliding portion of the canopy was plunge molded using the Airfix part as a form, the Airfix part was too thick to fit properly over the spine.