Skip to content
This is the Czech Master Resin 1/72 Scale Curtiss F9C Sparrowhawk, their kit number CMR72-239 released in 2014. CMR also released another boxing of this kit with different markings. The kit is well-packaged in a sturdy top-opening cardboard box with the resin castings inside plastic bags.
Here are the contents, the major parts are single castings with a bag of detail parts provided to build up the kit. Some modelers approach resin kits with some trepidation, but they are really not that far removed from injection molded kits. The biggest differences I find are the clean up of the castings and the need for superglue as the primary adhesive. Advantages can be found in the ability to cast details at all angles to the mold, such as tread patterns on tires.
The main fuselage piece is a single casting, CMR has made the cockpit open from below with the center of the lower wing forming the floor. This allows thinner fuselage sides at the cockpit. Here you see I have damaged the cockpit sill while removing molding flash. This is a minor setback which is easy to repair.
This shows the cockpit being built up with a few details added from plastic strip. I have begun repairing my damage to the cockpit sill by gluing a bit of casting flash to the inside and filling the hole with superglue. This can be sanded and the filling repeated until the repair is smooth.
More shaping and the cockpit has been sprayed with Alclad Aluminum. I made an instrument panel from a photographic reproduction.
Major assembly is complete. One advantage of this design is the wings mated directly to the fuselage so all alignment issues can be handled at this point. The fit of the parts left something to be desired so joints were filled with Mr. Surfacer 500 and sanded smooth.
The cowl ring is a very thin casting and I was very worried about shattering the piece throughout the build. I very gently removed it from the casting block with a razor saw and sanded it smooth. I would really liked to have seen CMR provide two of these as it would be very difficult to salvage the build if this piece were ruined.
Here is the main assembly under primer. I have learned the hard way that problems such as flow lines or pinholes can be invisible on the model but show up clearly after painting.
Painting is underway under all that masking.
The Sparrowhawk was designed as a “trapeze fighter”, to be carried by the airships Akron and Macon. Their primary means of recovery was to hook onto the underside of the airship and be hoisted into an internal hanger. The resin supports for the hook were very fragile and didn’t quite fit correctly, so I constructed replacements using plastic strip.
The interplane struts proved difficult to fit and didn’t line up exactly. I was able to coax them into place one attachment point at a time but the paint suffered a bit during the process and will need some additional touch up to be completely presentable. The F9C is an interesting type, I am happy to have one in my display case!