Converting the Airfix B-17G to a B-17E, Part II

B17EConversion_011
Here is the Airfix cockpit and bomb bay module.  This is a neat bit of engineering, the wing spars effectively eliminate the chance of getting the wing dihedral wrong, a problem which plagues the Academy Fortresses.  Experience has demonstrated that very little is visible inside the cockpit except for the seats.  I did blank off behind the wing spars in the bomb bay so the inside of the wing is not visible, just like the real aircraft.
B17EConversion_012
The aft fuselage has some improvements.  The Airfix floor piece is all one level platform, in actuality there was a step in the middle.  Note that the gun mount is offset forward, not centered in the window opening.  The cylindrical object at the rear is a chemical toilet.
B17EConversion_013
This view shows the changes made to the radio compartment.  All the rib detail was removed, the B-17E was provided with batting for sound deadening in the nose, cockpit, and radio compartment so the internal ribbing should not be visible there.  I made the missing compartment doors from plastic sheet and blocked off the side panels where the wing fillet was visible.
B17EConversion_014
The E models had different crew seats than the “swivel chair” type used on the G.  These are not difficult to construct.  Here are the different components in various stages of construction.
B17EConversion_015
I found photographs of actual USAAF seat cushions online and reduced them to scale.  These were then printed on photographic paper and installed in the seats.  Seatbelts received a similar treatment.
B17EConversion_016
The interior after painting.  The floors were covered with rubber sheet to reduce slippage.  Note that the bomb bay and after fuselage section is left in the natural metal finish, unprimed and unpainted.  There are a number of photographs which show Interior Green in these compartments, but these are all of restored warbirds, the interiors of these compartments on actual service Fortresses were left in natural metal.
B17EConversion_017
Here are the Quickboost resin engines with pushrods and the kit exhaust piece added.

Part III here: https://inchhighguy.wordpress.com/2020/09/11/converting-the-airfix-b-17g-to-a-b-17e-part-iii/

6 thoughts on “Converting the Airfix B-17G to a B-17E, Part II

    1. I love to see guys fully super detail the bomber interiors, but most of the time it is lost forever after the fuselage is joined. You’d have to do something along the lines of what you suggest to make it visible.

      Liked by 2 people

  1. Looking good Jeff I’m glad I’m not the only one who does detail no one will ever see!🤔When I started the Medieval village I’d interior scenes until I realised that no one wood see them !😅😂🤣. So Pete’s idea seems pretty ok to me !

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s