Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9 Comparison Build Part II

All three kits received Tamiya cockpit tubs from the spares box, fitted with Eduard photoetch seatbelts. The RLM 66 interior color makes the details hard to see in the photograph, but the Tamiya cockpits are definitely an improvement.
For the older Hasegawa kit, I moved the opening 3-4 mm froward, cut off the sliding canopy section, and rebuilt everything with sheet styrene. The nose section is also bulkier than the other kits, but I didn’t see a good way to correct that so I left it alone.
All three fuselages together. I had intended to fit the AML Ta 152 tail to the Tamiya kit, but after cutting off the Tamiya kit’s tail I discovered the AML tail piece was thinner than the Tamiya fuselage. It fit much better with the Hasegawa kit so that’s where it wound up. You can also see the old Hasegawa kit has had its molded-in exhausts cut out and replaced with spares from a Tamiya kit, a big improvement.
Earlier I mentioned that the rear of the engine and the accessories were visible in the wheelwell of the Dora, so I had to cast some parts for what can be seen there. The mold is made up from Lego blocks with masking tape to seal the bottom and hold the parts in place.
Here are the major components ready for plumbing. The ammo boxes on the left are roughed out of plastic sheet, the engine components are castings.
Here are the pieces in place. This is a tight fit both on the real aircraft and in the model, but it is the only way to get this detail right. It is one of the signature characteristics of the Dora but hard to see for casual viewing.
Here is the old Hasegawa kit with some enhancements to the surface details. A simple trick to make panel hinges is to take a piece of round stock and squeeze it with pliers. The serrations of the pliers will imprint the hinge pattern on the stock and you’re done!
The newer Hasegawa kit also received the hinge trick. Fit is excellent on this kit, it still makes for a convincing model and is easy to build. The PE decking piece aft of the cockpit is from an old Eduard set, number 72052. This set also provided panels for the wheelwell interior and oleo scissors for the gear legs.
Here is the underside of the Tamiya kit, showing the improvements to the wheelwells. The molded-in wheelwell “roof” was cut out with a Dremel tool and the sides boxed in with sheet stock. I found a number of PE flap sets in the stash, not entirely certain how I came to have so many but I decided it was time to start using them up.

One thought on “Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9 Comparison Build Part II

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s