Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9 Comparison Build Part III

This is the Hasegawa Dora with the Ta 152 tail assembled and primed with Mr. Surfacer 1000. This kit assembles nicely and has no surprises. I have given it a squirt of Alclad along the wingroots and stippled this with liquid mask to replicate the chipping usually seen there.
The underside of the Dora with the Ta 152 tail was highly unusual, reflecting the chaos of disbursed production and assembly at the end of the war. This is seen in a plethora of masking types on my model. Foam protects the wheelwell, with a liberal sprinkling of masking tape all around. The inverted “U” shape is made from poster putty, used here to mask off the area around the gun panel while ensuring a soft edge.
Here is the Tamiya kit with the camo in place and markings from EagleCals. The basic RLM 82 Light Green / 82 Dark Green pattern is one of the more attractive Luftwaffe schemes in my opinion, and the yellow tail sets it off nicely. I have pulled off the paint along the wingroot to reveal the aluminum below, the first step in the chipping.
The Hasegawa kit with the Ta 152 tail. I have half a dozen books with color profiles of this scheme and no two agree on the colors used. The model is finished in a scheme is which closest to what is illustrated in the JaPo books. The fuselage color is a light green matched to the chip in the Monogram Guide by mixing white with a touch of RLM 82 Light Green.
The older Hasegawa kit is finished in another RLM 82 Light Green / 82 Dark Green camo, but this time with RLM 75 Gray Violet areas and natural metal panels on the undersides as shown in the JaPo books. The fuselage sides were oversprayed with a thin coat of RLM 02.
Late in the build I realized that the spinner for the old Hasegawa Dora was the smaller type seen on the radial engined Fw 190’s. The spares box was no help this time so I cast up a replacement spinner and baseplate.
Here is the underside of the Tamiya Dora showing the re-worked wheelwells and weathering. Wing cannon are made from Albion Alloy tubing, as is the pitot tube.
This is the wing root chipping, with added chips and grime stippled on with a sponge. The red wheel lock indicators on the wings were made from 0.01” wire.
All three together. The Tamiya kit with EagleCals markings is on the left, the 1992 Hasegawa kit with the AML tail is center, and the re-worked Hasegawa 1976 issue kit with Aeromaster decals is on the right. The Dora is one of my favorite subjects, and this was a fun build!

2 thoughts on “Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9 Comparison Build Part III

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s