Revell Horton Ho 229 Re-build

This is an older build of Revell’s Horten Ho 229 flying wing. The model has not aged well, suffering the collapse of the landing gear which was the straw which broke the camel’s back. I also grew dissatisfied with the paint scheme, I had tried to duplicate “scale effect” by diluting the topside paint with white, but had gone too far and washed out the colors. I also applied too much chipping for a largely wooden airframe.
The underside shows the wing cross decals have yellowed badly. The upper wing decals had yellowed as well but were harder to see. I see this occasionally on a few of my older builds, but I’m not certain what causes it on some decals and not others.
I started by sanding off the bad decals and generally cleaning up the finish. I didn’t feel the need to strip the paint as it was generally adhering well and was laying smooth.
After consulting some photographs of the real thing I was able to figure out where all those landing gear pieces were supposed to go. However, I discovered that one of the nose wheel doors was missing and had to build a new one from sheet styrene. The Horten had always appeared to sit nose-high so I took the opportunity to shorten the nose wheel strut about 4 mm.
The Horten got a fresh coat of Mr. Color RLM 76 / 82 / 83, which looks much better than my previous attempt. I copied the splinter pattern on the wings from a Messerschmitt Me 262 but improvised a little on the center section.
Here is the underside with the new decals. The Mr. Color RLM 76 was a close enough match to the old Model Master paint I likely used so I was able to blend the outer wing panel in and leave the center area as is, which saved a lot of masking.
The new upper surface scheme is much better to my eye. One problem with this unusual configuration is where to locate the aircraft numbers and other markings. On this model there are no fuselage sides, so I put the aircraft numbers near the tail on the upper surface, and on the landing gear doors underneath. This would allow ground crew to see the numbers while on the airfield and the numbers would be visible on the underside with the gear retracted.

More finished photographs here: